Effective Date: January 1, 2020.
- Transfer of Information
- Information Collection
- Use of Information
- Sharing of Information
- Information You Disclose Publicly or to Others
- Rapid Rewards®, Sweepstakes, Contests, and Surveys
- Advertising & Analytics Services and Online Tracking
- Social Features
Transfer of Information
Back to Top
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you use our Services, book travel, register for our Services or set up a Southwest account, SWABIZ® account, or Rapid Rewards® account, subscribe to our e-mails, mobile messages, or social media notifications, post on our forums or blogs, participate in the Rapid Rewards® Program, a sweepstakes, contest, promotion, survey, or poll, communicate with us via third party social media sites, shop our Services, order physical or digital gift cards, request customer support, apply for a job or otherwise communicate with us through the Services.
The types of information we may collect include Personal Information. "Personal Information" is information that could reasonably be linked with a particular consumer or household, including information that can be used to identify an individual (whether alone or in combination), such as your first and last name, e-mail address, zip code, billing address, shipping address, phone number, payment card information, social media account information, travel preferences, birth date, redress number, and demographic information. “Personal Information” also may include sensitive information, such as present and future health status, and genetic information, to allow us to better serve your needs (for example, to assist you with boarding a flight if you need a wheelchair or with meeting safety requirements).
You may choose to voluntarily submit certain other information to us through the Services, including Personal Information, but you are solely responsible for your own Personal Information that you submit to us.
Information We Collect Automatically
We and our agents, vendors, and service providers automatically collect certain information from and about you when you access or use our Services. This information may include, without limitation, demographic information; IP address; browser/device/hardware type; operating system characteristics; information about your use of our Services; and data regarding network connected hardware (e.g., computer or mobile device), such as unique device identifiers, type, model, version, MAC address, device or session ID, error related data status, capability, confirmation, functionality, performance data, and connection type. This information may also include clickstream data, which is information about the page-by-page paths you take as you browse through the Services.
This information is gathered by certain tools and methods such as:
- Log Information: We and our agents, vendors, and service providers collect information about your use of our Services, such as the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the referring link through which you accessed our Services.
- Cookies:Cookies are data files that are placed on a computer when it is used to visit a website. These cookies may be used for many purposes, including, without limitation, tracking user preferences or web pages visited while using our Services. Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually set your browser to remove or reject cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services. For example, cookies allow us and our agents, vendors, and service providers to store items in your cart between visits. In addition, please be aware that if you choose to block cookies, some advertising preferences that are dependent on cookies may not be able to be respected.
- Web Beacons: We and our agents, vendors, and service providers may include small graphic images called web beacons, also known as "Internet tags" or "clear gifs," in our web pages and e-mail messages. We and our agents, vendors, and service providers may use web beacons or similar technologies for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count the number of visitors to our Service, to monitor how users navigate the Services, and to count how many e-mails that we sent were actually opened or how many particular articles or links were actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts: An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Services. It is temporarily downloaded onto your computer from our web server or a third party with whom we work, is active only while you are connected to the Service, and is deleted or deactivated thereafter.
- Location-identifying Technologies: We and our agents, vendors, and service providers may use GPS (global positioning systems) software and other location-based technologies to locate you so we may verify your location, and deliver relevant content to you based on your location. We may collect precise location information from your device.
- In-App Tracking Methods: There are a variety of tracking technologies that may be included in mobile applications, and these are not browser-based like cookies and cannot be controlled by browser settings. Some use device identifiers, or other identifiers such as “Ad IDs” to associate app user activity to a particular app.
Information we and our agents, vendors, and service providers automatically collect about you, such as how you interact with our Services, may be combined with your Personal Information. If we associate any such automatically-collected information with Personal Information about you, our objective will be to treat the combined information as Personal Information.
We and our business partners and other third parties may send you product promotions that are aligned with your purchase trends and/or interests identified through automatically-collected information.
Information We Collect From Our Partners and Other Sources
We may also obtain information about you (such as e-mail, address and employment history) from other sources and combine that with information we collect about you. If we receive Personal Information from a third party source and/or if we combine the information we receive from these third party sources with your Personal Information, our goal will be to treat that information as Personal Information. We are not responsible for the accuracy of the information provided by you or third parties or how such third parties collect, use and share such information.
We may obtain information from our partners and append it to our existing user information to better understand users’ interests and to provide more relevant content, including job listings and advertising.
We may append information about you that is publicly available or information that is aggregated and/or depersonalized by partners. This information may include, for example, your travel preferences and activity, household income range, employment and education history, or postal code. This information may be associated with Personal Information as described herein, such as email address, physical address, first and last name combined, or phone number. We may use a third party vendor with whom we share your information to assist with this.
Back to Top
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes. Primary purposes for use of information include to:
- Facilitate, personalize, and improve your travel experience and your online or app experience;
- Process your registration with our Services, including verifying that your e-mail address(es) are active and valid and enrolling you in the Rapid Rewards® Program;
- Manage your profile(s) and online account(s), including purchases, orders, payments, returns, exchanges, and blog comments;
- Process and deliver frequent flyer points, sweepstakes, contest, promotion, and survey entries and rewards;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Contact you regarding your use of our Service and, in our discretion, changes to our policies;
- Evaluate and process your application for employment; and
- Prevent fraudulent transactions and monitor against threats.
In addition, there may be secondary purposes for use of information, such as to:
- Create a usage profile of your preferences and provide advertisements, job descriptions, content or features that match your profile and interests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events (including those offered by third parties) and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to manage these communications, please see the Your Choices section below);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service;
- Improve our Services and other Southwest websites, applications, marketing efforts, products and services;
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys, on our Service and other Southwest websites, applications, products and services;
- Retarget across other sites (as described in the Advertising & Analytics Services and Online Tracking section below);
- Any other purpose, with your consent or as permitted or required by applicable law.
Whether a use is primary or secondary may change over time. Some of the information we collect for primary purposes may be used for secondary purposes.
Back to Top
Sharing of Information
Our agents, vendors, consultants, and service providers have access to Personal Information to carry out work on our behalf.
We may also share information about you for various purposes. Primary purposes for sharing of information include:
- With the Transportation and Security Administration (“TSA”) as legally permitted or required under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560;
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in response to (i) subpoenas or other legal process or if in our good faith opinion such disclosure is required or permitted by law; and/or (ii) at the request of governmental authorities conducting an investigation;
- To defend the Terms & Conditions or other policies applicable to our Services;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, life, health, security and safety of us or any third party;
- To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we may also use IP addresses, mobile device identifiers or any other information we collect to identify users, and may do so in cooperation with copyright owners, Internet service providers, wireless service providers or law enforcement agencies in our discretion. Such disclosures may be carried out without notice to you;
- With our agents, vendors, and service providers for purposes of managing and fulfilling your travel reservations, product purchases, transportation services, activities, events, excursions, and Rapid Rewards® Program points. For example, we may share your information with our Rewards® Partners to help facilitate your purchase, transfer, or gift of Rapid Rewards® points.
- With our and our agents, vendors, and service providers to verify your address in order to ensure we maintain the accuracy of our database;
- With our affiliates for internal business purposes (including but not limited to managing your travel and/or accounts); and
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale (including a liquidation, realization, foreclosure or repossession), lease, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition of all or any portion of Southwest assets, financing, disposal, conveyance or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another company.
In addition, there may be secondary purposes for sharing of information, such as:
- With our business partners, affiliates and other third parties for purposes of sending their own marketing. For example, we may share your information with our financial institution Rewards® Partners for their direct marketing purposes, which may include, but is not limited to, marketing their co-branded credit cards to you;
- With third parties who conduct analytics or data appending (such as the process described above) in order for us to offer you more relevant products and services;
- With your consent or at your direction or as required or permitted by applicable law.
Whether sharing is primary or secondary may change over time. Some of the information we share under primary purposes may be shared for secondary purposes.
In our sole discretion, we may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you with third parties or affiliates.
Back to Top
Information You Disclose Publicly or to Others
The Services may permit you to submit ideas, photographs, user profiles, writings, music, video, audio recordings, computer graphics, pictures, data, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, including Personal Information (collectively, “User Content”), such as on blogs and forums, and in association with your account and user profile. We or others may store, display, reproduce, publish, distribute or otherwise use User Content online or offline in any media or format (currently existing or hereafter developed) and may or may not attribute it to you. Others may have access to this User Content and may have the ability to share it with third parties. Please think carefully before deciding what information you share, including Personal Information, in connection with your User Content. Please note that Southwest does not control who will have access to the information that you choose to make public, and cannot ensure that parties who have access to such publicly available information will respect your privacy or keep it secure. We are not responsible for the privacy or security of any information that you make publicly available on the Services or what others do with information you share with them on the Services. We are not responsible for the accuracy, use or misuse of any User Content that you disclose or receive from third parties through the Services. We are not responsible for User Content you submit to third party services via our Services.
Back to Top
Rapid Rewards®, Sweepstakes, Contests, and Surveys
We may offer you the opportunity to participate in our Rapid Rewards® Program, sweepstakes, contests, surveys, and other promotions (each, a “Promotion”) that may require registration or for you to submit Personal Information through the Services. Participation in these Promotions is completely voluntary. If you choose to enter a Promotion, your Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with the administration of such Promotion, such as in connection with winner selection, prize fulfilment, and as required by law, such as on a winners list. By entering a Promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor and/or other parties to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials. Southwest may offer opportunities to enter a Promotion or other feature that we offer jointly with a third party. As a result of your participation in such feature, your information may be shared with the third party that is jointly offering the feature.
Back to Top
Advertising & Analytics Services and Online Tracking
This means that some information about your browsing of the Service and certain third party sites may be shared with these companies for the purpose of delivering ads to you on the Services and certain third party sites, and Southwest may receive from some of these companies information about third party sites that you have visited. This information is used for marketing purposes and the practice is sometimes termed "retargeting" to indicate that information from one retailer is used to suggest to you relevant products offered by another retailer.
These and other third parties may also collect Personal Information about your online activities over time and across different websites when you use our Service.
We may also work with third parties to serve ads to you as part of a customized campaign on other websites or platforms.
Note that your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online services you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Like many websites and online services, Southwest currently does not alter its practices when it receives a “Do Not Track” signal from a visitor’s browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA") AdChoices Program and may display an Advertising Option Icon for interest-based ads. You can learn more about the DAA AdChoices Program at http://www.youradchoices.com . The DAA also offers a tool for opting out of the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device for interest-based advertising. To exercise choice for companies participating in this tool, download the AppChoice app at http://youradchoices.com/appchoices.
In addition, certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). NAI has developed a tool that allows consumers to opt out of targeted advertising delivered by NAI members' ad networks. To learn more about opting out of targeted advertising or to use the tool, visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. We are not responsible for effectiveness of, or compliance with, any third-parties’ opt out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs. Choices you make are both browser and device-specific.
Back to Top
Certain functionality on the Services is specifically designed to permit interactions that you initiate between the Service and third party websites or services, including third party social networks (“Social Features”). Examples of Social Features include enabling you to transmit content to the Service from your account on a third party website or service; to “like” or “share” our Services content to other websites or services; to log-in to the Services using your username and password for a third party site or service; and to otherwise connect our Services to a third party website or service.
If you choose to use Social Features, information you post or provide access to, including User Content, may be publicly displayed on our Services or by the provider of the Social Feature that you use. Similarly, if you post information on a third party platform that references our Services (e.g., by using a hashtag associated with Southwest in a tweet or status update), your post may be published on our Service in accordance with the terms of the third party website or service. Also, both Southwest and the third party may have access to certain information about you and your use of our Services and the third party site or service. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third party website give us access to their profiles and you are one of their “connections,” or information about you is otherwise accessible through your “connections” web pages, profile pages, or similar pages on a social networking or other third party website or interactive service.
Back to Top
You may use a referral feature to inform a friend about our services. Southwest may use any e-mail address provided when using this referral feature to send a single e-mail to such designated recipients about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events and provide news and information we think will be of interest to such designated recipients. By using a referral feature, you represent that you and your friend are United States citizens and that you have permission to provide your friend’s email address. Southwest will not be responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide.
Back to Top
Third Party Websites
Back to Top
The TSA requires us to request, and you to provide, your full name, date of birth, and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560. You may also provide your redress number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth, and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. For more on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see the TSA web site at www.tsa.gov.
Back to Top
If you use the Service through an Apple, Inc. (“Apple”) Device or an Android/Google Device, we may offer Face ID/Touch ID for apple devices or Face Unlock/Fingerprint Unlock for Google/Android devices as an alternative log-in method to password. We are only notified as to whether the authentication was successful and cannot access the Face ID or Touch ID for apple devices nor the Face Unlock or Fingerprint Unlock for Android devices or the data associated with the enrolled face picture or fingerprint. For more details, see Apple’s iOS Security Guide at: https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf; see Google/Android’s Security Guide at https://source.android.com/security.
Back to Top
Profile and Apps
You are responsible for maintaining the accuracy of the information you submit to us, such as your contact information provided as part of registration. The Services may allow you to access, review, correct, update, and remove or make inaccessible Personal Information you have provided through the Services’ registration or otherwise, and you may provide registration updates and changes by logging into your Southwest account, SWABIZ® account, or Rapid Rewards® account, or contacting us by phone, e-mail, or postal mail as detailed here.
With respect to our mobile and other applications, you can prospectively stop all collection of information by the application by uninstalling the application. Also, you may at any time restrict our access to your location data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device.
It is our objective to make good faith efforts to make requested changes in our then-active databases as soon as reasonably practicable (but we may retain prior information as business records). Please note that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases and that residual data may remain on backup media or for other reasons.
You can opt out of receiving promotional e-mail communications from us at any time by following the instructions provided in those communications or e-mail us as detailed here.
As a Southwest customer, Southwest account holder, SWABIZ®, or Rapid Rewards® Member, or user of the Services, you may also receive periodic promotional postal mailings from Southwest Airlines and/or our select marketing partners. If you do not wish to receive such promotional mailings, you may call Rapid Rewards® Customer Relations at 1-855-234-4654 (Monday - Friday, 7am-8pm CT).
Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we and our agents, vendors, and service providers may continue to send you non-promotional e-mails and other types of communications, as permitted by law, such as those about our ongoing business relations. For example, we and our agents, vendors, and service providers may send e-mails that contain service-related announcements that affect your account, confirmations and updates regarding reservations you have made, requests for feedback on our services and/or your specific travel experiences, information about your job application or responses to your comments and feedback submitted to us and our agents, vendors, and service providers.
Southwest mobile applications may send you notifications that may include alerts, sounds, and icon badges. These push notifications or in-app messages may include both operational messages and promotional messages regarding products, services and offers that may be of interest to you. Push notifications can be configured in settings on your mobile device. As with e-mails, even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications, we may continue to send you non-promotional push notifications, such as those about your use of the applications or our ongoing business relations.
Back to Top
Personal Information Requests
You may make the following requests with respect to your Personal Information: request a copy of the Personal Information we have collected about you in the last twelve months; request that we delete Personal Information that we have about you, subject to several exceptions; and request that we not sell your Personal Information to third parties for valuable consideration. Our policy does not permit discrimination against you for making such a request. To make a request, click here , email us at Southwest.Privacy@wnco.com, or call us at 1-800-435-9792. The web forms, email address, and phone number are not intended to be used for submission of complaints or comments. Please visit the Contact Us page on Southwest.com for Customer Service options.
Please note that we may deny your request, or fulfill a request only in part, based on our legal rights and obligations. For example, we may retain Personal Information as permitted by law, such as for tax or other record keeping purposes, to maintain an active account, and to process transactions and facilitate customer requests. Also note that for purposes of these requests, Personal Information does not include information about employees and other representative of third-party entities we may interact with; information we have collected as a service provider to businesses; or information about job applicants, employees and other of our personnel. We intend to take reasonable steps to verify your identity prior to responding to your requests. The verification steps will vary depending on the sensitivity of the Personal Information and whether you have an account with us. If you designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, please ensure the authorized agent is identified as an authorized agent.
Back to Top
Our Services are not intended for and are not targeted to children under the age of thirteen (13). If you are a child under the age of thirteen (13), you are not permitted to use the Services and should not send any information about yourself to us through the Services.
We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 and, if we learn that we have received information from a user under the age of 13, we will delete this information in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information without COPPA-required consent, please contact us by e-mail as detailed here.
If you have registered to use the Services, and have posted content or information on the Services, you can request that such information be removed from the Services by contacting us by e-mail as detailed here or by sending a letter to Southwest Airlines Co., P.O. Box 36647 TOP-1CR, Dallas, Texas 75235 (Attention: Legal Counsel), stating that you personally posted such content or information and detailing where the content or information is posted. We will make reasonable good faith efforts to endeavor to remove the post from prospective public view or anonymize it so the minor cannot be individually identified. This removal process cannot ensure complete or comprehensive removal. For instance, third parties may have republished the post and archived copies of it may be stored by search engines and others that we do not control.
Back to Top
It is our goal to take reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Although Southwest’s objective is to use reasonable efforts to help protect your information, transmission via the Internet is not completely secure and Southwest cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through our Services. Further, you are responsible for protecting your password.
Back to Top
Back to Top
Back to Top