General refund and cancellation details
If you decide not to travel, our normal cancellation policy applies:
- Business Select®/Anytime tickets are refundable. You can choose to either a) receive a method-of-payment refund or b) hold the value of the ticket as a flight credit that you can use to buy a future flight.
- Wanna Get Away® and Wanna Get Away Plus™ tickets are non-refundable. The value of the ticket will be converted to a flight credit that you can use to buy a future flight.
Important: If you don’t cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight’s original scheduled departure time, the value of Business Select or Anytime tickets will automatically be converted to a flight credit. Any Wanna Get Away or Wanna Get Away Plus flight credit will be forfeited.
Learn more about flight changes and cancellations.
Method-of-payment refunds will generally be made in the same form as the original payment:
- Credit card: Refunds will be processed to the same account no later than seven business days from the date we receive the request.
- Cash: Refunds will be issued by check no later than 20 business days from the date of the request for domestic travel. Refer to the International Travel page for refund policy information when local currency is used for an international flight.
- Points: Points will go back to the Rapid Rewards® account used to book the flight. Any taxes/fees not paid for using points can either be refunded as a method-of-payment refund or a flight credit to be used toward a future flight.
- Southwest® gift card or Southwest LUV Vouchers®: If the reservation is canceled within 24 hours of booking, please contact us. If the reservation is canceled after 24 hours, the Southwest gift card or Southwest LUV Voucher will be refunded as a flight credit.
- Flight credit: Southwest® flight credit from a previous reservation that is applied toward a Business Select or Anytime fare will be refunded as flight credit.
If you don’t cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes before the flight’s original scheduled departure time, your reservation will be canceled, and the value of Business Select® or Anytime tickets will be refunded in the form of a Transferable Flight Credit™. Any Wanna Get Away or Wanna Get Away Plus funds will be forfeited.
Other cancellation and refund considerations
Yes, if you cancel a flight booked with Rapid Rewards points, the points will go back to the Rapid Rewards account used to book the flight. You can choose whether the taxes and fees will be refunded as a method-of-payment refund or a flight credit to be used toward a future flight.
No, EarlyBird Check-In is non-refundable. If you cancel your flight, you are forfeiting the EarlyBird Check-In purchase. If Southwest cancels your flight, EarlyBird Check-In will be refunded. If you don’t receive a refund, please call us at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA.
You can send proof of your exemption status to us by email. Please be sure to include the following information:
- Passenger name
- Confirmation number
- Ticket number
- Documentation of exemption status (copy of front and back)